Expanded/Home Rules for Crimson Skies
Khy
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Possible Advanced (or otherwise) Tech

Postby Khy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Critiques, etc, for the following?

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Crimson Skies Adv/Exp/Other Technology Possibilities?

Extended Range Weapons (Weapon upgrade); Adds two hexes to a gun’s range but adds 50% to a gun’s weight

Autoguns (Weapon Upgrade); Add 25% of the gun’s weight and adds a consecutive +1 to hit per round fired after the first (Resulting in +0 for single-fire, +1 for doubling down and +2 for tripling down) but allows a third shot to be taken if the pilot desires it when doubling down. (Essentially mimicks recoil and the increased possibility of jamming.)

Reliable Guns (Weapon Upgrade); Add 25% of gun’s weight and 10% of the cost but on a 1, reroll; on anything other than a 1, the gun misses but does not jam. Additionally, because of the simplicity and durability of the weapon, it may ignore its first hit though it loses the ‘re-roll on ones’ option.

HALO Chute Pack (Cockpit upgrade, Boarder Upgrade; Must be HALO trained); Equippable on boarders and pilots; makes immune to chute-poppers and allows low-altitude insertions.

Redundant Engine(Engine Upgrade; Add 10% to a plane’s engine weight and 250% to a plane’s engine cost but when pushing if the player rolls a 1, reroll. Only on another one does the engine flare out; instead the plane moves in the direction and course it originally plotted but does not travel the additional hexes it planned to move by. If pushing acceleration and this occurs, the plane moves its maximum acceleration but no more and follows what remains of its flight path. In addition to this, unless the completely checked off in the process, the engine may ignore the first hit but as a result loses its reroll capability.

Light Engine (Engine Upgrade); Subtract 20% of a plane’s engine weight and add 200% to the engine cost but if the plane pushes it will always flare out on a 1 or a 2.

Reinforced Airframe (Airframe Upgrade); Add 15% to the airframe weight and 300% to the cost of the airframe. If the plane ever goes out of control, reduce the number of stress fractures by 3 for a MoF of 2 or less, 2 for a MoF of 3-4, 1 for a MoF 5-6 and 0 for 7 or more.

Light Airframe (Airframe Upgrade); Subtract 20% of airframe weight and add 200% to the cost of the airframe but if the plane ever loses control, for every two degrees the pilot failed by on their push roll, they take an additional wing fracture.

Pressurized Cockpit (Cockpit Upgrade); Add 10% to the weight and 25% to the cost of the cockpit but allows the pilot to exceed 17K feet without any adverse effects. Also renders him/her immune to duster attacks but not plane-damaging ones such as the flaming gas vapor use.

Duster Sprayers (Weapon Upgrade/Other); Plane must have cargo space for payload, costs $50 and takes up 10 lbs. A duster may disperse a vaporized chemical (water based) in consecutive order along his flight path, beginning in his starting hex, but cannot be deployed in the hex the plane ends in. Use of a Duster Sprayer is declared during the movement phase like Aerial Mines. Duster fuel is stored in the payload and is expended at the rate of 1 Lb/hex. Most available fuels for combat include fog-sprayers (which block line of sight), vaporized gasoline (??? Magnesium hits, PROFIT) or chemical weapons (which cause any pilot passing through them to make a 10-CON roll or take Constitution damage equal to ½ MoF—WIP; currently is a bit lethal, but haven’t thought of anything better, yet). Pressurized Cockpits are immune to chemical/biological Duster attacks but not plane-damaging ones such as the flaming gas vapor use.
Last edited by 1 on Khy, edited 0 times in total.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Possible Advanced (or otherwise) Tech

Postby Grant » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 am

Interesting. I like them. In fact: It's very good.

My only thing is I liked the upgrades they did to Battletech....and then they went overboard :lol: Kinda put me off upgrading anything.....

I'd danged near go back to making fire by rubbing sticks together than go up from matches to a lighter :lol:

Khy
PostsCOLON 42

Postby Khy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:37 am

Aye, I've heard the same from Phoenix and a lot of these have benefited from his input. Tis sort of why I modeled the before-mentioned 'Advanced' tech after Battletech Experimental Tech in that there are serious tradeoffs that force players to make real sacrifices in some areas in return for increases in performance elsewhere.

Marginal Cost == Marginal Benefit.

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Khy wroteColonExtended Range Weapons (Weapon upgrade); Adds two hexes to a gun’s range but adds 50% to a gun’s weight

Not sure I like this one. while it isn't realistic for the larger calibers to be shorter range, it is a good balancing of the mechanics of the game. I don't disagree with the concept though. Maybe "long range" ammo? It would be DD impact but 2 hexes longer? Or something.

Khy wroteColonAutoguns (Weapon Upgrade); Add 25% of the gun’s weight and adds a consecutive +1 to hit per round fired after the first (Resulting in +0 for single-fire, +1 for doubling down and +2 for tripling down) but allows a third shot to be taken if the pilot desires it when doubling down. (Essentially mimicks recoil and the increased possibility of jamming.)

I like this one! Reminds me of the old Gauss Rifles in BattleTech. Adding +1 to hit is a nice touch! Where can the RTAF buy one to test in a Mockingbird's 60 cal slot?

Khy wroteColonReliable Guns (Weapon Upgrade); Add 25% of gun’s weight and 10% of the cost but on a 1, reroll; on anything other than a 1, the gun misses but does not jam. Additionally, because of the simplicity and durability of the weapon, it may ignore its first hit though it loses the ‘re-roll on ones’ option.

Not a huge fan of this one, since there is already "Superior Weapons".

Khy wroteColonHALO Chute Pack (Cockpit upgrade, Boarder Upgrade; Must be HALO trained); Equippable on boarders and pilots; makes immune to chute-poppers and allows low-altitude insertions.

Nice!

Khy wroteColonRedundant Engine(Engine Upgrade; Add 10% to a plane’s engine weight and 250% to a plane’s engine cost but when pushing if the player rolls a 1, reroll. Only on another one does the engine flare out; instead the plane moves in the direction and course it originally plotted but does not travel the additional hexes it planned to move by. If pushing acceleration and this occurs, the plane moves its maximum acceleration but no more and follows what remains of its flight path. In addition to this, unless the completely checked off in the process, the engine may ignore the first hit but as a result loses its reroll capability.

Not sure about this one since we also have Superior Engine(s).

Khy wroteColonLight Engine (Engine Upgrade); Subtract 20% of a plane’s engine weight and add 200% to the engine cost but if the plane pushes it will always flare out on a 1 or a 2.

I like Light Engine. Good concept.

Khy wroteColonReinforced Airframe (Airframe Upgrade); Add 15% to the airframe weight and 300% to the cost of the airframe. If the plane ever goes out of control, reduce the number of stress fractures by 3 for a MoF of 2 or less, 2 for a MoF of 3-4, 1 for a MoF 5-6 and 0 for 7 or more.

Good one. Bombers have the special characteristic "reinforced wings" so this fits right in.

Khy wroteColonLight Airframe (Airframe Upgrade); Subtract 20% of airframe weight and add 200% to the cost of the airframe but if the plane ever loses control, for every two degrees the pilot failed by on their push roll, they take an additional wing fracture.

Unlike light engine, I'm not sure I like this one. We have Wooden Construction or whatever it is called, which is similar.

Khy wroteColonPressurized Cockpit (Cockpit Upgrade); Add 10% to the weight and 25% to the cost of the cockpit but allows the pilot to exceed 17K feet without any adverse effects. Also renders him/her immune to duster attacks but not plane-damaging ones such as the flaming gas vapor use.

I like this one too, but I would balance it better. I like how it is tied to the sprayers (see my comments below), but it needs to be fleshed out more. With no altitude rules, the 17K feet would just be a role playing thing (which is fine). The immunity to all things sprayer is good (including gas vapor), but maybe the drawback could be "can't be used with ejector seat" or "must be used with Difficult to Bail". Just thinking out loud. I like the concept though.

Khy wroteColonDuster Sprayers (Weapon Upgrade/Other); Plane must have cargo space for payload, costs $50 and takes up 10 lbs. A duster may disperse a vaporized chemical (water based) in consecutive order along his flight path, beginning in his starting hex, but cannot be deployed in the hex the plane ends in. Use of a Duster Sprayer is declared during the movement phase like Aerial Mines. Duster fuel is stored in the payload and is expended at the rate of 1 Lb/hex. Most available fuels for combat include fog-sprayers (which block line of sight), vaporized gasoline (??? Magnesium hits, PROFIT) or chemical weapons (which cause any pilot passing through them to make a 10-CON roll or take Constitution damage equal to ½ MoF—WIP; currently is a bit lethal, but haven’t thought of anything better, yet). Pressurized Cockpits are immune to chemical/biological Duster attacks but not plane-damaging ones such as the flaming gas vapor use.

This one is my favorite! Time period friendly, and a cloud of poison, smoke, etc would be effective on slow moving targets that must linger over an area. Very cool!

Overall outstanding work/concepts. My comments aren't meant to be critical, I'm just thinking out loud.

Keep 'em coming!

Patrick

Khy
PostsCOLON 42

Postby Khy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Aye. Phoenix brought up that it might be better to do ammo that explodes on a jam or explodes the gun instead of the weight bit.

As for the light airframe, wooden airframes actually do something different. Wooden airframes just limit a plane to a maximum of 3 base gees and add a +1 to the TN for pushing gees; they don't modify the weight of the airframe or the damage taken by going out of control.

As for the Sealed Cockpits, that's a good point. Will need to do some more thinking on that.

Last, don't be afraid to give me critiques, Patrick; I need them so I can weed out what is unnecessary and refine what remains. You guys are doing me a favor by helping me figure out what I can improve and I'm not going to bite you for it. :P
Last edited by 1 on Khy, edited 0 times in total.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 am

Rambling in no particular order.

I like Duster! The thought of flying through a cloud of vaporized petrol makes a very frightening visual. As soon as the plane enters, the exhaust ignites the cloud of vapor, big flash & fireball, plane probably flies through charred but it mostly undamaged save for cosmetics, but the pilot is going to be struggling for a moment to find a breath, and likely to have seriously ringing ears for a good while. That moment of oxygen deprivation might even stall the engines or at least make them hesitate a moment. Granted, what I described is more story telling fluff and would have little game effect, (Hard to imagine a specific game mechanic at the moment) but I love the visual!

I have always objected to heavy guns having shorter ranges, yes I understand it was just a game mechanic, but as a gunsmith (IRL) it really really really bugs me, it should be the other way around, longer and heavier slugs remain stable further downrange than light ones. Patrick may have the right idea here with long or extended range ammo.

Sealed Cockpits are a natural progression, they certainly belong in the next CS technology update, the time frame is perfect. So are more advanced parachutes, it only makes sense that an airborne culture would look more towards safety. The seat cushion on every airliner should not just be a flotation device, but it should also cover a parachute! (Maywest vest with a chute built in!) Lifeboat/Escape vessels (Like Rota-chutes) should be on every Zepp. . . I might even want to add an escape cockpit to fighters with the next generation of technology, jettison the whole (Floating) sealed cockpit and drogue chute down. Most nations would not bother with it, too expensive and too pansy, but some might, and private Merc outfits who can afford the tech, like Blake Aviation Security, would likely jump on it.

Love the Autogun!

Lighter/Stronger components are also a natural progression for the next generation of aviation technology.

As I see Crimson Skies sliding into WWII, all of those are valid advances to the game and genre.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

Postby Patrick » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 am

Khy wroteColonLast, don't be afraid to give me critiques, Patrick; I need them so I can weed out what is unnecessary and refine what remains. You guys are doing me a favor by helping me figure out what I can improve and I'm not going to bite you for it. :P

I have to be cautious with how I comment here. If I critique someone's ideas there might be the illusion that my opinion means more than someone else's. It doesn't. I don't know many of you very well, and the last thing I want to do is alienate anyone in an already small community. On the flip side I also want to be honest and upfront as possible in all my posts here, since I was privy to behind the scenes things that might be interesting to read about.

In the end, I consider what I say before I post, and thus far have hopefully avoided inserting my foot into my mouth. It will happen most likely, but hopefully not until after the ZB book is up for download. :)

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 am

Patrick wroteColon
Khy wroteColonExtended Range Weapons (Weapon upgrade); Adds two hexes to a gun’s range but adds 50% to a gun’s weight

Not sure I like this one. while it isn't realistic for the larger calibers to be shorter range, it is a good balancing of the mechanics of the game. I don't disagree with the concept though. Maybe "long range" ammo? It would be DD impact but 2 hexes longer? Or something.

IMO it would be nice to have some variety other than modifications to the to-hit numbers, thus I really like extended range weapons. The question for me is: Does 50% added gun weight balance the increased range adequately? So, as the original weapons are balanced by range, damage potential, weight and to a lesser degree by cost (as it mostly only matters in campaigns or RPG), I can see increasing one of the first three aspects by adjusting one or two of the others, as a valid possibility.
Many happy landings!

Return to