Zeppelins & Bombers - New/Old Info

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
Khy
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: Zeppelins & Bombers - New/Old Info

Postby Khy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 pm

OOoooooh! Sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear more about the ground targets and the zeps, especially since those will be coming up soon in our game...

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

Postby Patrick » Mon May 21, 2012 2:52 pm

5th Update: Except for the "Pilots" section, the campaign portion is edited, formatted, and ready to go. Tonight I'll proofread the pilot's section and get started on importing the bombers portion of the manuscript.

Campaign Sneak Peek: Your squadron is responsible for protecting your territory and key installations from your enemies while simultaneously locating and destroying their installations. There are five key installations, and each one delivers a necessary component to your unit.

Aerodrome - This is your squadron's heart and soul. This is the king on your chess board. If this falls, the campaign is over. It contains runway and flight line, hanger(s), tower, ops building, ground defenses, etc. (Unless you opt for a zeppelin.) ;)

Ammo Dump - This installation contains all of your ammunition minus a small amount you can keep on hand at the Aerodrome. If you want to load all your fighters for a turn, the Ammo buys more (with your money) to resupply itself. Losing this installation inhibits your war-fighting capacity.

Supply Depot - The supply depot maintains a parts inventory for all of your aircraft. When you need a new canopy, radio or engine block, this is the place that delivers it to you. If it gets destroyed, you have to order from the manufacturers, which takes a lot longer and can cost you in a war of attrition.

Train Station/Sea Port - When you need new pilots, they arrive either via train or ship (depending on which one you chose during set up.) If this location is lost, your ability to replace pilots killed, wounded or captured decreases and makes it harder to keep eyes in the sky.

Fuel Depot - Underground tanks hold all the fuel your aircraft will need, as long as you can afford to keep buying the juice. If the fuel depot is destroyed, your aircraft must be fueled via delivery trucks, which can ground your fleet as quickly as anything else.

5 installations, 7 zones to put them in, 7 zones to find them in, 24 turns to do it. :)

Onward and upward! Stay tuned.

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Postby Captain Zee » Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 am

Great Work!

Train Station/Sea Port - When you need new pilots, they arrive either via train or ship (depending on which one you chose during set up.)

My only issue is this; I have no problem with sea ports, but didn't the railways collapse along with the highways? Their only use is cabotage (the transport of people or goods within a defined region/area), as far as I know.

But don't let my rantings get in your way, keep up the good work!
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195

Postby Patrick » Tue May 22, 2012 1:11 am

Captain Zee wroteColonGreat Work!

Train Station/Sea Port - When you need new pilots, they arrive either via train or ship (depending on which one you chose during set up.)

My only issue is this; I have no problem with sea ports, but didn't the railways collapse along with the highways? Their only use is cabotage (the transport of people or goods within a defined region/area), as far as I know.

But don't let my rantings get in your way, keep up the good work!

Only the interstate railways were shut down. Transporting goods and services (and in this case, people) via rail car is still a valid form of transportation and shipping within the borders of the nation states.

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for the update, Patrick! As someone who's running a continuing campaign and finds himself needing to figure out costs and logistics, this promises to be really helpful.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Postby Captain Zee » Tue May 22, 2012 5:50 pm

That explains it, thanks! Keep it up!
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

csadn
PostsCOLON 61
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm
LocationCOLON Sitting down, facing front.

Postby csadn » Fri May 25, 2012 5:51 am

He'd better finish it -- how am I supposed to finish the Pacifica/Hollywood Border War book? All those Astor Aviation and Dalton AC birds aren't going to publish themselves....

Oh, dear -- did I say that out loud? Silly me. >;)
CF

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195

Postby Patrick » Tue May 29, 2012 12:21 am

*Dropping ballast to rise above the spam*

csadn
PostsCOLON 61
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm
LocationCOLON Sitting down, facing front.

Postby csadn » Tue May 29, 2012 5:28 am

I eat Spam for breakfast.... :)
CF

feggula
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Mon May 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Postby feggula » Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 am

It's the zeppelin rules that I'm so looking for and excited about with this. I have long been a fan of the various versions of zeppelin construction out there and currently on my own fourth draft, which is a mixture of the FF5 and Yahzuk rules as well as every scrap of real life data that I can find. I seem to be able to mostly model the Hindenburg and the Pandora from the PC game, which is nice! ;-)

Anyway, the question I had was what would the zeppelin counters be like? Are they modelled on the zeppelin from the sky map or will they be modelled on how the CS2.0 SMOCS would have them be? Having read that article and done a spot of experimenting, I like the SMOCS zeppelin idea as they seem to flow more with the maps. Smaller counters so I think the fire arcs would be slightly more deadly, but broadsides would be interesting as you can no longer fire directly out. Anyway, I have made some counters and multiple fire arc diagrams to figure this and am currently working on my fifth set of rules for them... Drats! :D

Am eagerly awaiting them!

Return to