Aeronaut - an Aircraft Designer for CS

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Aeronaut - an Aircraft Designer for CS

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:30 am

Looks great guys I am running it at 1280 x 1024 [I still use a 4:3 screen], no problems so far, min. system resourses being used.
Only thing that disagrees with me so far is in the drop-down selection boxes [like the nationality box], there does not seem to be the option to input your own.
eg. I wanted to make up my own splinter country or use aircraft manufactured from my own fictious company or speak a language that is not on the list, then I would have to manually change that afterwards.
***looking forward to the import corrections for the images in the next update.***

>>Grant<< I would not worry about the screen resoulution that much, the whole program can be dragged into view easily enough.

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:47 pm

I just wanted to report a bug I've run across twice now.

I seem to be able to get into a state where when I start up the program, the pilots window will no longer open. I can click on the Pilot Roster tab on the left, and when I mouse-over it, it extends to show I'm pointing at it, but then when I click, nothing happens. Likewise, when I use the open file button at the bottom to open a pilot, nothing happens.

The first time I ran across it, I copied the 4 files I'd created so far (a squadron, a pilot, and two loadouts) and then deleted and re-extracted the program, dropping the 4 files back in their places, and it worked fine... until I'd opened and closed it a few times, and found the same bug again just now.

I'll keep it in this state for now instead of re-extracting it in case you want to walk me through a few troubleshooting steps or ask me questions about what else does or doesn't work, Mad MaxX. PM incoming with my email address if that's an easier way to communicate for this.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Fox: I just remembered, I'm using mom's computer for it now. It's newer and zooms up to the needed size. I wasn't able to even get it close in 800X600. I could drag the window around, but the buttons remained "Outside the box" of clickable area.

Leastways, it's working now!

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Holy Moly!

THANKS FOX FORCE FIVE!

FF5 MadMaxX
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 pm
LocationCOLON Germany
CONTACTCOLON

Postby FF5 MadMaxX » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:29 am

Happy new Year!

I just want to say i am back in town and
have now the time to read all your posts and emails i got about Aeronaut.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Having played around with Aeronaut...

I can't seem to get the $ value from planes built using it, and from the FASA sourcebooks to match. The Phantasm and the Hornet are the two I've done so far.

Another thing is... PLEASE allow us to type in values for length, width and height. Or at least have a scroll option, so I don't have to click 30+ times to get the right wingspan listed... IE, hold down the up button, the numbers keep going up, instead of the current click click click...

I'll keep playing with it, the print abilities are much appreciated!

FF5 MadMaxX
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 pm
LocationCOLON Germany
CONTACTCOLON

Postby FF5 MadMaxX » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Hello Folks,

time for summing up all request bugs, etc so far, that are in the next version:

[*] Change: Scalable Window for low resolutions (looks ugly if not the original size is used, but for Grant its important ;) )
[*] New: Pilot Images printed in the Pilot Sheet
[*] Change: "scrollable" values for length width height etc. (as captnmartin said) its very usefull. But if simply forgot this feature in my scrollbutton code.
[*] Content: New planes and manufatures (added by captnmartin)

Upcoming things ideas:

[*] adding a blueprint picture to a aircraft (as foxmalcom mentions)
[*] adding noseart to a aircraft

But both things have the same problem, there is not many space left on the aircraft sheet.

Other stuff:

Kaffis wroteColonI just wanted to report a bug I've run across twice now.

I seem to be able to get into a state where when I start up the program, the pilots window will no longer open. I can click on the Pilot Roster tab on the left, and when I mouse-over it, it extends to show I'm pointing at it, but then when I click, nothing happens. Likewise, when I use the open file button at the bottom to open a pilot, nothing happens.

The first time I ran across it, I copied the 4 files I'd created so far (a squadron, a pilot, and two loadouts) and then deleted and re-extracted the program, dropping the 4 files back in their places, and it worked fine... until I'd opened and closed it a few times, and found the same bug again just now.

I'll keep it in this state for now instead of re-extracting it in case you want to walk me through a few troubleshooting steps or ask me questions about what else does or doesn't work, Mad MaxX. PM incoming with my email address if that's an easier way to communicate for this.

That seems to be a bug. :( I will look into it. have you got an error message from the console?
If i can't reproduce the bug I pm you!

Thom wroteColonI am glad there is a way to add nations and manufactures, but sadly I am XML impaired. Perhaps it could be made easier in a future update

This isn't that difficult. just copy/paste a existing one and change the values.

captnmartin wroteColonI can't seem to get the $ value from planes built using it, and from the FASA sourcebooks to match.

I had the same problem as I added the first planes. but it seems that there are a lot planes with wrong prices in the source books.
If you recalc them on a paper using the "behind the crimson veil" rules you will see it.
But there still can be a bug hidden somewhere. But the best way to find it is to recalc them by hand.

foxmalcolm wroteColon
Only thing that disagrees with me so far is in the drop-down selection boxes [like the nationality box], there does not seem to be the option to input your own.
eg. I wanted to make up my own splinter country or use aircraft manufactured from my own fictious company or speak a language that is not on the list, then I would have to manually change that afterwards.
***looking forward to the import corrections for the images in the next update.***

Adding nations, manufatures, etc. are done in the basedata.ae file.
did you mean with "import corrections" the missing pilot images on the printed sheet?

I hope i forgot nothing...

I cant exactly say when the next update comes but I hope I can finish it in the next 2 weeks.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:18 pm

This might be another thing, but when you print out the sheet with Superior weapons, it only says Sup. and does not print out the gun Calibre. Now I can figure it out based on the range, but it would be beneficial to perhaps edit the output on the printed page.

And I tried hand calc some of the aircraft, it would seem that FASA either ignored their scheme, or rounded somewhere. However, I think one of the improvements in the engine, superior engine I believe, or maybe it was light stick, anyways, it should change the value by 50% but I think the program said 1.40 so that might be a value input error. I'll look into it and see if I can narrow it down for you.

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 pm

FF5 MadMaxX wroteColonThat seems to be a bug. :( I will look into it. have you got an error message from the console?
If i can't reproduce the bug I pm you!

I didn't realize the errors would show up in the console. I'll check there next time I encounter this bug, and report back.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:22 pm

FF5 MadMaxX wroteColon[*] adding a blueprint picture to a aircraft (as foxmalcom mentions)
[*] adding noseart to a aircraft

But both things have the same problem, there is not many space left on the aircraft sheet.

The answer to this is simple . . . do not add them to the main Aircraft Sheet, this is mainly flavour/bling that players would like to use to further enhance their gaming experience.
Add it as a separate page, maybe even as a character information/bios page/dosier [just like in a D&D character generator].

FF5 MadMaxX wroteColonAdding nations, manufatures, etc. are done in the basedata.ae file.

To be perfectly honest the best thing you can do is to minimise how much people need to go into the database to make alterations, this will make the design more user-friendly not to mention more convenient to those who don't know or aren't confident enough to make changes on their own.

Return to