Question on Parasitic Fighters

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
wikifido
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Question on Parasitic Fighters

Postby wikifido » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 am

Hey Everyone, New user and first post.

Currently planning a campaign based on the Zeps & Bombers rulebook that can be downloaded here. I'm planning on using some Parasitic Fighters in the campaign and had some questions/clarifications.

I'll start by mentioning my copy of Behind the Crimson Veil is still in the mail as I understand a lot of stuff about plan special characteristics is in there. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that because I need info about special characteristics lol). Either way my questions are as follows.

1.) In Zeps & Bombers it states

However, Zeppelins & Bombers introduces a new special characteristic, Parasite Fighter. This is to illustrate the dedicated zeppelin fighters that are being designed specifically for that purpose. This often includes design choices like folding wings, smaller guns, and no hardpoints. Choosing this special characteristic comes with several conditions for the fighter in question. First, you cannot choose No Zeppelin Hook as an accompanying special characteristic. The aircraft with the special characteristic Parasite Fighter must be BTN 7-10, and cannot add any more hard points than it naturally has.

Does this mean anything with the characteristic 'Parasite fighter' has no hard points? Basically I'm curious if The aircraft listed in the Parasite fighters section have Hard points or not. I can't find info about it in the book. The text blocks for the Ocelot and Bloodhawk 'E' Expressly say no Hardpoints, but the others do not.

2.) my second question is mentioned above. Are special characteristics (not just those about Parasite fighters) fleshed out inside 'Behind the Crimson Veil'?

3.) is there anywhere I can get the Aeronaut Files for the Zeps and Bombers planes, I have the rest of them?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Question on Parasitic Fighters

Postby Thom » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Valid questions, sadly it has been so long now since I have paid attention to the rules that I probably cannot correctly answer them.

1. I believe that Parasite Fighters add hard points as normal, but may not take any extra. (From the rulebook page 67) "Each aircraft has eight (8) hard points that can carry rockets and bomb." I think some other rules allow for additional hard points that PFs would not be allowed to use.

2. My copy of "Beyond the Crimson Veil" is currently buried under a mountain of game books so I can't check that for you.

3. Sorry, I don't know what's available, I've lost touch with many CS resources. Good luck finding them and please update us here if you do find something!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Wikifido!

Beyond the Crimson Veil has all the rules for special characteristics. Probably the most important change from the original rulebook is that planes now have a maximum number of hardpoints equal to 11-(plane's TN number), so bigger, easier-to-hit planes carry more ordinance and smaller, more agile planes can carry less. There's also a new construction option where you can remove hardpoints from a plane to save weight, gaining 10 pounds per hardpoint removed.

I emailed Patrick to ask some questions about the parasite fighters a while back. As far as I know, most of the parasite fighters carry the full allotment of hardpoints for their size. In the case of the Ocelot, the single hardpoint is removed to meet weight requirements for construction -otherwise it's 10 lbs overweight under "Crimson Veil" construction rules.

In the case of the Bloodhawk E, I asked Patrick, since under the construction rules it should be possible to include 2 hardpoints, and he responded with the following:

In-universe, the E model doesn't have hard points because it sits on top of the Gunslinger. However, there is nothing that says an intrepid crew chief can't wire it for two hard points since the airframe can handle the extra load if it is going to be carried by other bombers/aircraft/zeppelins.

By the way, Patrick also told me that the Blackflag Nightingale should have a maneuver rating of 5Gs rather than 1G-it's a typo in the document.

Hope this helps! If you use Aeronaut to print record sheets, I've done Aeronaut files for some of the parasite fighters and would be happy to email you the files if you'd like them. I also have a copy of Crimson Veil so if you have any questions about special characteristics rules feel free to PM me.

P.S. You may also want to check out this thread: http://www.montanaraiders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1503. One of our forum members has designed some miniatures for some of the parasite fighters and bombers and they are available through Shapeways. I ordered some Nightingales and an F-37 and they look quite nice.

wikifido
PostsCOLON 5

Postby wikifido » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! Also great to be here, loved the video game as a kid and played a bit of the minis in the past (the way past). I went down the rabbit hole looking for some new books to read and settled on some Crimson Skies Books, which I am now waiting to be delivered, but in the process I discovered this board and the fact there was still an active following of the game. Plus the campaign play in Zeps and Bombers really pulled me in.

The 11-BTN rule makes a lot of sense, the removal of hard points is also an awesome addition. It seems like my confusion on the hardpoints was also directly related to my lack of Crimson Veil ownership, its in the mail though lol.

I figured the Nightingale 1G thing was a typo, it made very little sense that the Brigand and other Heavy fighters had a more impressive G rating than a small ultralight fighter.

Sweet which templates do you have? I was considering drumming up some templates for the Bombers as well.

I saw those mini's they look awesome, definitely on the short list of things to order! You wouldn't happen to have any painted examples? I'm honestly a bit worried about the grainy texture of Shapeways printed items and how it translates to paint.

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Sure! Here's my Nightingales.

The models are a little rough in texture, so I washed them and sanded/filed them down just a little bit. They didn't need much. Overall, I found them pretty easy to paint.

I've got files for the Nightingale, Badger, Seraph, F37 and Ocelot. Just PM me with an email and I'm happy to send them to you.

wikifido
PostsCOLON 5

Postby wikifido » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:34 am

WOW! those Nightingales look fantastic, did you hand paint the wing numbers or are they decals (decals is my guess)?

PM inbound.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:58 pm

The models from Nick are indeed great, I can't wait to paint some of the Québec plane he made.

I also found out that priming them with a gloss finish primer takes out some of the roughness and makes for a smoother finish. You could also use a clear gloss spray for the same effect.
Malphas, over and out

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm

wikifido wroteColonWOW! those Nightingales look fantastic, did you hand paint the wing numbers or are they decals (decals is my guess)?

Thanks very much! Yep, those numbers are decals from Fighting Pirannha Graphics. I also use their decals for my Battletech minis.

Return to