Africa

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Africa

Postby Densoman2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 am

Ok guys, The continuation of the Africa Sourcebook will be here. I will take the inputs so far and mesh them in and paste the latest version here and then update it As usual everyone is welcome to give me input. I love the Crimson Skies genre and have just about everything ever published but I just got the actual game recently so I may need some help with making good fun/fair scenarios.

Thanks,
Tony

OfaloafNASB
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: Africa

Postby OfaloafNASB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Just how stable is the British Empire, exactly? A bit of colonial fragmentation could provide for some fun settings-- aside from the previously-mentioned Sultanate of Zanzibar, a revived Sokoto Caliphate in northern Nigeria could be a good place for some adventuring, South Africa could revert back into a pre-Union state, with a British-aligned Cape Colony and either Transvaal and the Orange Free State back in action or a unified Boer/Afrikaner state to the north. Did Germany lose her colonies in the CS-verse? Pre-WWI Germany controlled Namibia, Cameroon and Togo.

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am

Postby stormwell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:08 pm

OfaloafNASB wroteColonDid Germany lose her colonies in the CS-verse? Pre-WWI Germany controlled Namibia, Cameroon and Togo.

Its entirely possible that she did, don't think CS timeline splits off until the mid-1920s?

OfaloafNASB
PostsCOLON 10

Postby OfaloafNASB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

stormwell wroteColon
OfaloafNASB wroteColonDid Germany lose her colonies in the CS-verse? Pre-WWI Germany controlled Namibia, Cameroon and Togo.

Its entirely possible that she did, don't think CS timeline splits off until the mid-1920s?

The Kaiser's still there, so ¯\(°_o)/¯

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 am

I'll be honest I want more Germany in Africa than our universe. The instability of colonialism really would add to Africa as a base for pirates.
My plan for South Africa was to make it the Industrial stronghold of Afrika because of it's natural resources and diamonds (which should bring the
pirates out in droves.) I thought of having a Zepplin manufacturer and maybe an airplane company set up shop there. The reason said companies moved
to South Afica would be to get away from the flu epidemic that was taking it's toll on Europe. I'll admit I'm a big fan of the Boer Wars and the settlers against the British Empire.

Now if anyone can find a good reason to bring Germany back to it's pre-WW1 colonies I'm all in.

Thanks,
Tony

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 am

Densoman2 wroteColonI'll be honest I want more Germany in Africa than our universe. The instability of colonialism really would add to Africa as a base for pirates.

Agreed, it would make for much better story. But there should also be some Red Russians poking into things and fomenting revolution for Red Africa! Italian fascists looking for any advantage for their nation, Unionists trying to spread democratic reform, African Warlords, expatriated European Nobles who would be Kings, Pirates and International Corporations all vying for a bigger piece of Africa!

Make it so!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

Ya'll want some communist interests in Africa?
Make the Orange turn more Red!

Remember, the Great Collapse takes place only 30 years after the assimilation of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic in South Africa. With British attention focused on 1.) a rapidly collapsing status quo North America, 2.) checking an expansionist Japan in the Pacific and 3.) managing the twin European threats of Communism and Fascism... the possibility of a resurgent Boer Nationalist movement grabbing the diamond fields would make for a major shake-up, with only minor stretching of reality (certainly less than needed for a self-sustaining Navajo Nation)
The new nation would have a very small population of Dutch Boers sitting atop a very, VERY large population of Africans who work the diamond mines. Should we use the historic Boer attitude toward the locals- the Boer-descended Afrikaners being the ones that developed Apartheid- then the possibility for a nasty revolution in the 1930's takes shape. African laborers would not only be horribly underpaid but also 1.) limited to very specific locales for living, 2.) face the total inability to travel without 'papers,' and 3.) having no say in the political system (all historically in place by 1920). This makes the area a prime breeding ground for a communist insurgency supported by Soviet backers, with little effort!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

OfaloafNASB
PostsCOLON 10

Postby OfaloafNASB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:25 pm

For added fragmentation's sake, have just the territories of the Orange Free State and Transvaal (maybe also Natalia?) manage to break away from South Africa to reform the old Boer Republics, and then have the Communists manage to take over only one of those republics (or maybe just guerrila actions in both), causing maximum chaos between Brits wanting their colonial territory back, Boers wanting everyone to sod off, and Communists out for blood. Expand the conflict a little and mirror original British concerns about Boers claiming their own port by having Afrikaner militias attempt to seize southern Mozambique from Portugal, maybe.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 pm

OfaloafNASB wroteColonFor added fragmentation's sake, have just the territories of the Orange Free State and Transvaal (maybe also Natalia?) manage to break away from South Africa to reform the old Boer Republics, and then have the Communists manage to take over only one of those republics (or maybe just guerrila actions in both), causing maximum chaos between Brits wanting their colonial territory back, Boers wanting everyone to sod off, and Communists out for blood. Expand the conflict a little and mirror original British concerns about Boers claiming their own port by having Afrikaner militias attempt to seize southern Mozambique from Portugal, maybe.

I wouldn't break things up TOO much. :?
Remember, your nations have to have:
1.) sufficient population
2.) sufficient revenue

Without either of these things, you start to run into problems... like how the nation doesn't simply implode.
If you make it past that small stumbling block, you still have to finance the military of your nation- an equally weighty problem.

With the African nation-states, you have a MAJOR issue... Africa is not a very 'rich' continent.
There are some very large resource deposits in (modern day) South Africa, largely in the area of the old Boer Republics. Then, along the West Coast and in the Lakes area you have some diamond deposits, along with some scattered coal seams. The North Coast and the 'Curve' have some significant oil deposits- but these are largely unexploited at this time and much is located offshore, especially in the 'Curve.' The only remaining resource is the scattering of Sahara uranium, which is neither of use nor even of interest at this time.
The vast majority of the economies of Africa are based on herding and subsistence farming... with Egypt and South Africa having some small manufacturing capabilities at this time. Few areas will be able to support a large standing force; indeed, a 'large' African military might be about the size of a single State in the Confederacy, and the 'average' military might be no more powerful than Arixo or the Navajo or Lakota nations!!! We are talking a few thousand troops and maybe 4 - 5 dozen aircraft in the entire government-controlled military forces. Some North American and European mercenary groups will likely be as powerful, and certainly entities like Blake Aviation Security will have as much (if not more) manpower and equipment.
Even in the overly-optimistic world of Crimson Skies (where money seems to appear out of this air) only about 6 nations in Africa would be able to field anything larger than a glorified pirate gang: a united Boer Republic, British South Africa, Egypt, Italian Ethiopia, French West Africa, and the Dutch Congo. Of all of these, only Egypt and a Boer Republic would really fielding their own military in the sense that some colonial power would not be funding it... but they would still be relying on a foreign arms supplier for any major equipment (aircraft, tanks, ships, sundry military vehicles).

So let's not get too happy with redrawing the map- Africa is humanity's cradle... but the problem with cradles is that they are generally pretty confining.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, man... I ran into the same problem in the Caribbean, and an additional issue as well- some islands were not big enough to support aviation facilities!!! This caused me to have to totally delete my original attempt and restart a year or so ago with a book that focused completely on Cuba rather than trying to cover a bunch of postage stamps with a few thousand people and no place to put an airstrip!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

OfaloafNASB
PostsCOLON 10

Postby OfaloafNASB » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm

In my defense, the Boers had a history of establishing little sovereign republics of diddily, so an extreme fragmentation's not totally unreasonable. From an aviation point of view, though, you're right in that none of them would be able to support even an imported air force (save for maybe Transvaal), so that would be overdoing for Crimson Skies. So, er, yes. A unified Boer state makes much more sense for this than Balkanzation to the extreme.

Elsewhere, could it be possible to treat Morocco and Tunis as being more autonomous than was historical? Both countries were protectorates, not colonies, and so maintained their own governmental structures and sultans and such during French rule. At the very least, it'd be good to recognize that they did have some autonomy and distinct governments and weren't just masses of Maghrebis subject to direct French colonial rule. An interview with the Sultan of Morocco with a French minder at his side the entire time would convey the situation pretty well, probably.

Return to