MG Ammo question-To Burn or Not to burn?

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

MG Ammo question-To Burn or Not to burn?

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm

I have a question for anyone who's played the lighter fighters in Crimson Skies like the Valiant, Bloodhawk or Tempest, that only carry .30 and .40 caliber guns: Do you use magnesium ammo exclusively in games, or do you ever use other kinds of ammo?

I've seen a game where a Valiant with nothing but magnesium-round .30s did fearful damage to the other players and held his own. On the other hand, when I tried the same trick with a Tempest, it just didn't seem to work, maybe because the Tempest doesn't have the sheer number of little guns a Valiant has. I wondered if it might be more effective with AP rounds.

Also, there's a role-playing element I was mulling over--MG rounds are nasty and quite lethal. I could see a "chivalrous" fighter pilot not wanting to use them, or needing to avoid them if a scenario involved capturing an enemy aircraft. Then again, in such situations it might be simpler to take a plane with larger guns...

I was just curious if anyone's used AP or DD instead for the smaller fighters with any success?

feggula
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Mon May 28, 2012 1:22 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: MG Ammo question-To Burn or Not to burn?

Postby feggula » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

It depends on your preference to be honest, I've had fun with all types of ammunition and had success - and failure - with all. I prefer a mix though of MG and other rounds, mainly DD. I like DD for the widowing that it can do along with (in my experience) the better internal damage. What I prefer then is to fire DD rounds first and then the MG rounds - if you get lucky you can kill aircraft in a couple of hits...

As for chivalrous - against pirates? Only if they're flying something that I want!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm

I use MG sometimes. They work better with multiple little guns (valiant) VS smaller numbers. On a plane with like 1 .70 and 2 .30's I *usually* load up the .70 AP and the .30's DD.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am

These are my standard 'CAP' loadouts for the Confederate Air Corps:
1.) Valiant
[5,6,7,8 - DD (.30 cal); 3,4 MG (.30 cal)]
2.) Kestrel
[1,2,3 - AP (.60 cal); 6,7 - DD (.40 cal); 5,8 - MG (.30 cal)]
3.) Bandit
[5,8 - MG (.40 cal); 6,7 - AP (.60 cal)]
4.) Fury
[1 - AP (.70 cal); 6,7 - DD (.40 cal); 5,8 - MG (.30 cal)]
5.) Brigand
[1,2 - AP (.50 cal); 3,4 - DD (.50 cal); 7,8 - MG (.30 cal)]

Militia aircraft will fly with "whatever was in stock at the local supplier last Tuesday."

NOTE: all gun positions are corrected to ensure symmetrical placement on the record sheet, in the positions closest to where the aircraft drawings show them.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Ahhhh memories, the good old "spray and pray" technic.

The Valliant is one of the best plane for this.

For my part, when flying the Avenger my set up was 2 .60 AP, 4 .30 DD and 2 .30 MG. It is with this set up that I blew up GSBandit's Brigand in the last game.
Malphas, over and out

Return to