A new hope?

Covering the FASA version of Crimson Skies.
StorminWolf
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:35 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

A new hope?

Postby StorminWolf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:50 am

Microsoft made Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge available on Xbox One, and actually promoted their Xbox to Xbox one initiative with it. Does anyone else see this as a sliver of hope to see another game in the future with CS background? Either a Xbox or a Boardgame/tabletop?

Also does anyone know what the current situation regarding the rights is?

Also title pun intended.

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 94
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Re: A new hope?

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Well, hope dies last, doesn't it?

Actually, I'm more on the side of fearing that this might spawn another console action shooter rather than anything remotely capturing the look and feel of an alternate 1930s pulp game. (A similar thing happened to Wing Commander, when an action arcade shooter was released for one of the big consoles...).

Nevertheless, some advertising for the general franchise would certainly be nice :). After all, hopefully nobody will get hooked on the Wizkids version, but turn to the original in the end.

As to a new boardgame/tabletop version: this would be most interesting to me, and there's definitely something like hope here. Definitely depends on the company who gets the rights and the task to do it (and I can see lots of pitfalls there [collectibles akin to Star Wars X-Wingto make money, overly relying on card stacks like FFG games, etc.]). But hey, if the hypothetical new instance sucks, I'll simply resell it and get back to the FASA version...

What I really would like to see is a pen-and-paper RPG for Crimson Skies. I know, I know: mostly you wanna play a pilot anyway, so use the given stats and use some generic system. But official books would expand on the background and locales around the world. Just dreaming :roll:
Many happy landings!

Return to