Interesting update about WW2 Flying Wings

Anything to do with real-world. Aeronautics, cars, WHATEVER you want. Only Note: No politics...Mainly because I am a dictator and I don't wanna get into an argument and ban you.
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Interesting update about WW2 Flying Wings

Postby foxmalcolm » Mon May 14, 2012 9:04 am

G'Day Guys,
I was just doing some research into an upcoming project and came across this little gem published last year by National Geographic.
You can watch it here.
For those that couldn't be bothered watching it, the4 basic story is how engineers from Northrop Grumman researched and re-engineered a replica of a Horten 2-29 Flying Wing in order to test it's stealth ability against period Radar installations.
For those that do watch it pay close attention to the {quote}"Top Secret Storage Warehouse"{/quote}, there all sorts of interesting airframes visible in those shots.
Also pay particular attention to the detailed blueprints which apparently have been pulled from archives, those aren't basic blueprints those are fully fledged component assembly blueprints, wouldn't mind getting a hold of that sort of info.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Interesting update about WW2 Flying Wings

Postby Thom » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I just watched that last week on the Nat Geo Channel (NGC), very fascinating! It's head on radar profile was less than two feet in any direction, nearly invisible, in perfect conditions it could be mistaken for birds or clouds, add a light rain or some smog and it would be completely radar invisible.
Flying the Crimson Skies

NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
CONTACTCOLON

Postby NickHNASB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Lets play zombie threads ;)

From the article:
Had Hitler's stealth fighter made it into mass production, the plane could have changed to course of the war in Europe, experts say.

Except, like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_162, it would probably have been very tricky to fly without modern control systems and the Third Reich was running out of expert pilots. I'm enjoying modelling the Luft46 aircraft but I've learnt that, regardless of wonder weapons, Hitler had lost his war by the end of 1943, probably earlier.

And, no. I'm not just grumbling because the link to the show doesn't work for me in the UK :x

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:55 am

A funky and rather ugly plane to my eye. Looks like something that should have been aborted on the drawing board! And yet, it had an amazing performance curve and for a while it was the fastest thing in the sky.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to