Favourite Fighter/Bomber from WW2

Anything to do with real-world. Aeronautics, cars, WHATEVER you want. Only Note: No politics...Mainly because I am a dictator and I don't wanna get into an argument and ban you.
captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON CYWG

Favourite Fighter/Bomber from WW2

Postby captnmartin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:45 pm

So, what are your favourites?

Myself, for the Allies:
P-47 Always been attached to the Jug.
Hawker Tempest - Probably one of, if not the best fighter of the War.

Axis
FW-190 There is no comparison, this plane was amazing.

Bombers:
Lancaster
B-29
Axis had nothing of note.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Favourite Fighter/Bomber from WW2

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 am

Hands down, for me it is the P-38 Lightning. Not just from WW2 fighter bombers, it is my favorite aircraft of all time.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:48 am

Allies:

Fighters:
P-40. A decent fighter that in good hands, and used correctly was decent. Sortof the underdog of the time (Although recently they're thought to be super-fighters by some :roll: )

Bombers:
B17 Flying Fortress. I'm a "Bigger iz better" guy. All that firepower of awesomeness crammed into one aircraft :twisted:

Axis:
FW-190. Just a freagin awesome plane. Excelled in alot of differant roles, and was a deadly opponent.

Stuka-87. Just because it looked weird. It shoulda been a FASA Crimson Skies aircraft.

All-time plane:
Real: Too numerous to mention. I really couldn't pick.
Fictional: M210 Raven. I don't know why, but it just looks fantastic.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:20 am

Thom wroteColonHands down, for me it is the P-38 Lightning. Not just from WW2 fighter bombers, it is my favorite aircraft of all time.

How about this Bad Boy

The shape of things to come...

Just notice the noseart lady is topless... It is historical, but if you want to change it to just a link that's cool.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 am

A little stereotypical but, the P-51 is amazing. The history of the plane is remarkable (it was designed super quickly) and it looks like a race car. Love it.

The PBY Catalina is a fun plane and probably my favorite sea plane. Others of note would be the Mosquito and Tempest.

Axis plane: I have always liked the look of the Messerschmidt BF-110.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 am

captnmartin wroteColonHow about this Bad Boy <Snip!>
Just notice the noseart lady is topless... It is historical, but if you want to change it to just a link that's cool.

That Bad Boy is a P-61 Black Widow. Inspired by the Lockheed P-38, it is actually built on it's own airframe as a Heavy Night Fighter by Northrup. It featured a three man crew, Pilot, Gunner & Radar Operator. All in all a way cool aircraft way ahead of it's time! Of the 742 built, only 46 of them were set up as bombers with only four wing mounted hardpoints. Later another 20 were made with just two hardpoints. Post war some of them were converted and used for night time spying and observation missions. There were so many variations of guns, some with no turrets and some with two or three. Once example was even made with 16 .50 Cals! Some of those turrets were even remote controlled and could be operated by ANY crewman. Last but not least, there was even one made with RADAR AIMED turrets, the very first generation of the "Goal Tender" point defense system. The P-61 Black Widow was one very serious piece of high technology in it's day, certainly the most sophisticated aircraft of WWII by far.

:D But. . . It's still not a sleek P-38!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm

I always liked P61s.

Sorta cool aircraft.

What amazes me is you look close at history's airplanes, there's alot of them that look so oddball/differant that they fit in Crimson Skies pretty good.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm

I totally agree, it's one of the reasons I wanted to see CS escalated to WWII so that we could see the suddenly leaping advances in air technology, that and the greatly increased combat opportunities.
Flying the Crimson Skies

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

Almost forgot...

THE GO229!

yahzuk
PostsCOLON 68