Change of topic - What can you do?

Anything to do with real-world. Aeronautics, cars, WHATEVER you want. Only Note: No politics...Mainly because I am a dictator and I don't wanna get into an argument and ban you.
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Change of topic - What can you do?

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Ok we all know by now that I am a graphic artist enthusist! :mrgreen:
And some of you can write a story really well, but, who else do we have here?
What skills do any of you have that can be turned towards CS?
It is my feeling that the best way to explore another world is to experience it, to that end what do you, what would you do to explore that?
Do you like to draw, paint, write, sculpt, read, play, colour-in? :lol:
Do you have the skills to create something?
Or do you have the desire to participate or construct that which someone else has started :?:

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: Change of topic - What can you do?

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:47 pm

The spirit is willing, Fox... but the pocketbook is weak- job hunting is going rough, ATM. :cry:

I'd be happy to participate as much as I could, though, should someone really get a project going.
What you got in mind?
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm not talking about spending money, I am talking to the artists, the poets, the authors, etc.
Perhaps you have no artistic ability, perhaps you are a planner, a designer or maybe you do have skills but are more of a follower, unable to commence an idea of your own so you follow directions.
Maybe you paint your own minis, or maybe you have always wanted to lend your hand to it
Ultimatley this will benefit no-one but yourself [unless you are with a group in which case it be something they would enjoy as well].
I am not going to propose another compettition, the last one was too disapointing, so I am trying to inspire the creative juices in a more subtle way. :D
If the main question is too vague, lets start with a simple one.
How do you play the game?
Do you just use the box set & the defult maps?
Or do you make or print other maps?
In trying to get a more in-character feel to the game do you paint milk cartons and say they are buildings?

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:21 am

Ummm....

Nothing.

Y'all about seen the upper level of my graphics (Damage templates).

I am working on a few more graphics things, but they are primarily Cutting from one, and pasting on another, with touchup work.

I can't stand painting mini's.....I get exasperated real fast. I paid (Through work) mom to do the last 3 fighters(And she loves painting of any type so...didn't take alot of convincing).

I pretty much played "Default" for along time, as no one else is arund.

BUT...This winter I have a few projects:
2-3 plane conversions I been thinking on.
I GOT to paint up more planes.
I GOT to make some kind of more maps, especially those for a ground combat thing.

My main thing? I love the meat of the subject. Filling out, and the writing part...I know..lazy, but entertaining :)

My biggest problem is that anything great I do, it would only be shared with a select few online.... NO ONE to show it in person is sorta a drag ;)

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 pm

I am more interested in what you do, it doesn't matter that no-one will ever get to see [in person] what you do.
I don't believe it when people tell me that they can't do artistic things.
For instance I put CS onto my Sony Ericsson W890i
No real artistic ability was used except an eye for detail.
I edited the pics [which I downloaded from the net or printscreened from the game] in a basic paint program and uploaded them using Sony Ericssons theme creater program.
It was not difficult, all that I did was cut & paste [alright it also involved the use of the lasso select tool, big whoop].
The ringtone is the opening audio drama from the PC versions installer and the message sound is Tex saying "Got it Boss!"
Now it's not perfect, I couldn't edit a few of the feature pages or the icons but you get the picture.

***Sorry if I am coming across as bit strong, but as a moderator here I feel that I should lead by example and try get you guys to participate in discussions.
If I'm just being annoying/showy just send me a slap-in-the-face IM and I will be good & shut up***

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey guys! I'm new here, but have great excitement about the Crimson Skies Universe and want to help.

I've been amassing an archive of everything Crimson Skies I can get, minis, cg shots, historical photos that could work, for some future purpose. I don't know what that purpose is yet, but I am determined to keep it up and offer it to anyone that needs it.

I have about 4 pewter models that are still unopened (Raven, Fury, Valiant, Warhawk) and a ton of the WizKids planes (even the elusive Black Swans!). I have a few of the FASA books: Spicy Airtales 1&2, Wings Over Manhattan, Pride of the Republic, Airmans Gazeteer, Blake Air Security, and the two novels. However, I can't get ahold of the board game. If anyone has an extra copy of the rules to the FASA games I would be in their debt. I have only played the WizKids version which I don't mind at all. I actually have a friend who will occasionally play it with me, so I can't complain.

To put it out there, I am working on a special project that I think would be great for everyone to work on. I am a Utah boy (now living in Virginia) but of course my interest lies with the nation of Utah and what it consists of (regionalism really drives this game for me!). I spent hours this week looking at census records of Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, and Wyoming and numerous other demographics indicators (especially focusing on religion) to locate the heavily Mormon counties of those states. Based on that I figured the relative borders, or claimed/disputed areas, that the nation of Utah would have an interest in protecting based on Mormon poulation.

Based on the areas of southern Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, and a touch of Arizona that have heavy Mormon populations, the census records and common sense I came to the following conclusion: Utah itself had a population of about 537,571 in 1937; adding in the Mormon Counties from other states they add up to a total population of 978,455 (367,209 in Idaho, 41,865 in Wyoming, 29, 706 in Nevada, and about 2,104 in Arizona). Now this is where the fun part comes in! I put my findings on a google map drawing in rough borders following the counties with Mormon settlements.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=108863765788148118777.0004715b5a30b75bbb754&ll=40.044438,-117.158203&spn=37.323031,78.662109&z=4

You'll see that I have added a great deal to the canon based on (arguably better) research than has previously done. I also created my own squadron assignments that probably don't reflect the actual game other than the Ogden Legion. I just barely read the Spicy Helium War story and am a bit confused by all of the talk about the "Alliance of Utah Enclaves" so the map doesn't reflect that or the Lambs of God, who I see more of an expeditionary force. Also, for the record "Utah" should be called Deseret and the flag would never have a cross on it, it would have a beehive. Though a Christian nation, Mormons do not use the cross as a symbol on our buildings and would never use it on the flag.

Anyway, I'm interested in being the resident Utah expert and beefing up my section to reflect more of the backstory. Any info in the main FASA sourcebook would be very helpful!

Thoughts?

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368

Postby Jerba » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

foxmalcolm wroteColonI am more interested in what you do, it doesn't matter that no-one will ever get to see [in person] what you do.
I don't believe it when people tell me that they can't do artistic things.
For instance I put CS onto my Sony Ericsson W890i
No real artistic ability was used except an eye for detail.
I edited the pics [which I downloaded from the net or printscreened from the game] in a basic paint program and uploaded them using Sony Ericssons theme creater program.
It was not difficult, all that I did was cut & paste [alright it also involved the use of the lasso select tool, big whoop].
The ringtone is the opening audio drama from the PC versions installer and the message sound is Tex saying "Got it Boss!"
Now it's not perfect, I couldn't edit a few of the feature pages or the icons but you get the picture.

***Sorry if I am coming across as bit strong, but as a moderator here I feel that I should lead by example and try get you guys to participate in discussions.
If I'm just being annoying/showy just send me a slap-in-the-face IM and I will be good & shut up***

Nice, Those are really cool!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey thanks for your input and Welcome to MontanaRaiders Forum! :P
It is always good to see some enthusiasm and a new face!
In answer to your most pressing question, a boxed set of the rules, have you tried Noble Knight Games, there are always one or two boxes sets there or you can maintain a vigile on eBay, good hunting!
Though a Christian nation, Mormons do not use the cross as a symbol on our buildings and would never use it on the flag.

Wow! You live you learn, while later day saints play a role in the community here they are far and few between, that little tid bit is not something I have come across before.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368

Postby Jerba » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Well I want to do what I can to contribute around here. I wish I could get a hold of some scans of the main FASA book where it discusses Utah. So if anyone could help me out let me know!

What else can I do to help fox? I'm trying to come up with a good color scheme for my Southern Utah air squadron and a good logo, but I'm not sure what to use yet.

Also, would doing a collaborative project on google maps be interesting to anyone else? We could map out the world according to CS and have interactivity and be able to zoom in etc. If you put it in "terrain mode" on the viewer it looks gorgeous btw.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Ok I am a bit hesitant to suggest a project at the moment [especially after the compettiton], the problem is that I am afraid that if I suggest something, then I am going to end up doing most if not all the work on it. And thats not fair.

Currently I have several ideas I am throwing around and researching.
One of the main ones is quite ambitious and without help it will take me years to do if at all.
I don't expect any help on this one from you guys but I want to do a conversion mod for GTA Vice City.

The GTA series has a lot of freedom in terms of movement and it already has game controls for character, plane and ground vehicles.
The reason I picked Vice City is it also has a wider selection of modding tools and an already established knowledge base.
I aim to start by making one-for-one converssions of the different vehicles and see if I can learn any new skills from there.
I had origianlly planned to do a StarCraft converssion but after making a few dummy screenshots I realised that I am not interested in playing an epic battle in CS.

A more simpler project I have at the moment is to finish making models of the CS planes and convert them to card stock ready for download and construction.
No real use for this except for vanity, unless you are one of those people I have read about on the net who play CS using 1:72 scale models.

I would like to see someone make a simple computer game version of the boardgame using flash or java.
It would be so cool to be able to play the boardgame on my mobile whilst on the train!!!

I also want to release a few fan packs containing custom icons, cursors, backgrounds, borders, plane pics, etc . . . .
I also want to re-commence work on my CS RPG rulebook, I have recently started a recruitment drive here in Melbourne and I am gaining quite a few players who want to participate.
If all goes well I plan to debute the CS RPG at a few Gaming Conventions next year.

Return to