Starter set? Oh, really?

Other gaming here. PC, board,etc. ANY type of gaming at all.
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Starter set? Oh, really?

Postby Igor » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:14 am

Phoenix wroteColonIgor > I actually play 40K too. Just out of curiosity, what army does your son play?

He's been building a Grey Knights army but after reading "Fallen Angels" last week he's not sure about his choice since he'd like something from the Horus Heresy setting and evidently they come later. However we're bouncing ideas between each other about an interesting back-story for them - he's a chip off the old block!

He's trying to scrape together the money for the new edition of Space Hulk that has been featured in the latest White Dwarf and after the WizKids Crimson Skies Aces game last night we said we'd have another go at the D&D starter set. He's holding off on buying into a particular edition of D&D until he finds a group and works out what they are playing.

He's got exams for the next two weeks though so he'll be focussing on that ... THEN it'll be playtime! :D

Igor

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:19 pm

I play Space Marines myself, although, given my current state of funds, I doubt I'll be able to afford Space Hulk.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby Kaffis » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:55 am

4th Edition is as D&D as your DM chooses to make it. If your DM pays only lip service to whatever your preferred setting is, then yes, it's D&D in name only.

It doesn't have a lot of guidelines for roleplaying, but do you really *want* rules for roleplaying? I don't. The focus of the rules is on dungeon crawling, and that's just fine and dandy with me -- D&D started out as essentially a stripped-down in scale tactical wargame with fantasy trappings anyways.

And that's what 4th Edition is. The powers place a lot of emphasis on movement and creating tactically interesting situations with a bit of cinematic description in the flavor text for each power. How your DM leverages this is likely to seriously color your perception of the game. The roles concept it introduces hearkens back to the emphasis on group synergy the original D&D classes promoted (you know, back when it was "mage, elf, fighter," etc.), which I like.

People who look at the powers and roles and say "It's an MMO!" are really missing the point, I think. Powers are no different from wizard spells in their degree of MMOness, and I really welcomed them as a way to spread out the resource budgetting and ability to do "cool stuff" among classes other than spellcasters. For somebody who plays a fighter, it's really a breath of fresh air compared to their 3rd edition strategy of "I stand in front of the big monster and full attack." Letting fighters et al. make interesting decisions in combat is a good thing. And roles feeling like MMO fare is merely a symptom of MMOs stealing it from P&P RPGs to begin with.

Phoenix -- since you mentioned 40k, I play a Sisters of Battle army I'm still working on painting, and I'm starting up a White Scars-esque Bike themed Space Marine army, too.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 am

Kaffis wroteColon4th Edition is as D&D as your DM chooses to make it. If your DM pays only lip service to whatever your preferred setting is, then yes, it's D&D in name only.

It doesn't have a lot of guidelines for roleplaying, but do you really *want* rules for roleplaying? I don't. The focus of the rules is on dungeon crawling, and that's just fine and dandy with me -- D&D started out as essentially a stripped-down in scale tactical wargame with fantasy trappings anyways.

And that's what 4th Edition is. The powers place a lot of emphasis on movement and creating tactically interesting situations with a bit of cinematic description in the flavor text for each power. How your DM leverages this is likely to seriously color your perception of the game. The roles concept it introduces hearkens back to the emphasis on group synergy the original D&D classes promoted (you know, back when it was "mage, elf, fighter," etc.), which I like.

Interesting. We are going away on two weeks holiday at a self-catering rental on the coast so we are going to take some games with us to muck about with. the D&D starter set will be one of them but he's sweating on playing his Space Hulk game. He's had one reply locally from someone who is trying to get gamers together for a D&D 1st ed on Gametable (I think he means THIS)

Kaffis wroteColonPhoenix -- since you mentioned 40k, I play a Sisters of Battle army I'm still working on painting, and I'm starting up a White Scars-esque Bike themed Space Marine army, too.

My son has finally worked out his 1500 point Grey Knight army (with dreadnought and Inquisitor lord) and hopes to have it built by Christmas. The plastic figures he got with the Space Hulk army are amazingly well done for plastic (plus you could substitute standard WH 40K figures if you wanted to work up a scenario)

Cheers

Igor

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 am

Yeah, they truly outdid themselves with the quality and detail of the sculpts on the Space Hulk models.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Spycraft
Pathfinder
Fantasycraft
Cyberpunks 2020 (Friday Night Firefight is a fantastic combat system)

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:45 pm

One game that got a few months ago was Spirit of the Century, a fantastic pulp fiction game set in the 1920s. With only a setting change, it could easily be adapted to CS. It's made by Evil Hat Productions, and I highly recommend you check it out.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

SteampunkIronRider
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm
LocationCOLON Orlando, FL
CONTACTCOLON

Postby SteampunkIronRider » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 am

Hey, Thom?

Got d20 stats for that warzeppelin that your PCs were using in the Steampunk Faerun game?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:13 am

Yeah, someplace. . . I will try to dig them up for you!

We have since moved on to a new M&M 3e (DC Heroes) game so I will have to sort through my old notes.
Flying the Crimson Skies

SteampunkIronRider
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm
LocationCOLON Orlando, FL
CONTACTCOLON

Postby SteampunkIronRider » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:31 am

Cool, thanks. If you can't find 'em, I can probably generate something using the mecha creation rules from the back of the DP9 d20 Mecha Compendium...

Return to