Check your 6!

Other gaming here. PC, board,etc. ANY type of gaming at all.
Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Check your 6!

Postby Cyagen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Just tried Check your 6 yesterday at a local gaming group.

It was a lot of fun, movement is very close to crimson skies except that each plane has its own movement template and there is 6 levels of altitudes, the pilots have only one stat that gives a bonus to everything and damage is pretty simple (you get hit, target get a save roll, save not passed=damage. After 2 damages you go boom).

I am almost afraid to get them to try Crimson Skies since it is not as "serious" a simulation, but they may be interested in the more extensive pilot development rules (they were very attached to their pilots, in a good nerdy way:)

It also made me realised that altitude would be possible in CS without much of an adjustment to the rules. However, in CH6, you get an arc of fire instead of just straight ahead and with the different altitudes, you need that to get some shots at people.

It was great fun and since they are playing 1:300 and the planes are cheap, I am seriously considering buying some russians to do a East front campaign.
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Check your 6!

Postby Thom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 am

Don't know anything about it, or if I did then I have forgotten. (Old Timers Syndrome) Do you have a link for more info?
Flying the Crimson Skies

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 am

Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 am

I've always felt it was a bit silly that Crimson Skies required someone to shoot down a hexline.
Even a TURRET must fire down a hexline; a TURRET which, by principle, is able to swivel to cover an arc.

This game sounds rather simple, and fairly enjoyable.
Is there any way to 'reverse engineer' the aircraft? Could one add stats for aircraft that were never built, or even add aircraft of their own? This is always a primary concern of mine in simulation game. I'd be interested in giving this game a try- can you give us a good, detailed AAR?
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Here is, from memory the AAR.

Next game I'll take notes and bring my camera.

It was a Battle of Britain scenario.

3 Spitfires, 3 Hurricanes trying to shoot down 6 Ju88 with 6 Me-109 in support.
The brits were chasing the JU88 and the Me-109 were coming to the rescue.
I was flying the 3 Spitfires.

Movement is pretty much like in CS. You plan your turn on a sheet of paper. However, experienced pilots can adjust their move. In CS turn, imagine you could change your facing. You also have to decide if you climb or dive or fly level. Depending on that, you can adjust your speed for the next turn. Some maneuvers are restricted and you can do an Immelman or a split S (S1D) with no roll!

I was flying Green pilots, so no adjustment and no extreme maneuvering.

The Brits went after the bombers, I made contact on turn 4 an started firing at them.

Trying to hit anything over range 3 is hard. The system goes like this, you roll to hit (2d6 vs a TN), then the damage (d4 for LMG, d6 for HMG, d10 for 20mm) you add the result (the highest number on the dice counts as 0), then depending on the robustness of the plane it has to make a save. If it passes, nothing happens, if not, airframe damage (-1 to everything). After 2 damages, boom. There is also a lucky hit table (kind of critical hit) that affects the plane even if it passes the save.

So two of my planes had a shot at a bomber, one hit and one damage. They shot back, nothing much.

Following turn, I kept on the damaged bomber, scores a rudder hit (lucky) that send the plane out of control (the plane would crash at the end of the game but the pilot survived). However, this created debrits that hit one of my Spitfire and (lucky hit) it ended up with fuel on the windshield. The same guy got fired at by all the bombers and got an airframe damage.

Next turn, the damaged Spitfire managed to pass 4 8+ tests and survived only to be shot down by two Me-109 that arrived on the scene. Unfortunately the pilot died.
My partner managed to shot down a Me but got totally outmaneuvered. So I ended up 2 Spits against 4 Me. So I basically ignored them, kept on the bomber, damaged a bomber, got 1 Spit damaged before we called it a night.

Conclusions
Ju-88s are though SOBs. Hard to damage and with 2 HMGs firing backward not fun at all.
Spitfires MKI are very nice planes compared with the Hurricanes.
8 LMG sounds weak but it is not that bad in that system.
I messed up the acceleration during my first turns. In CY6 you change speed AFTER you movement is completed and use this speed for the next turn.
The firing phase takes about as much time as in CS because of the many die rolls.
I liked the game a lot. I will see if I can get my hand on a copy from a German supplier.
The guy that painted the planes had insane skills, he painted the roundels and the ID number on the planes by hand, on a 1:300 fighter!
He also made nice stands for the game. You just had elements to make them higher to represent the altitude of the plane.
So that was it.

I think it should be possible to create CS planes for the system, the difficult thing would be the maneovering table that seems to be different for each plane (disclaimer: I tried to enjoy the game and did not asked too many questions about this). However I understand that planes are classified in 4 maneuvrability categories so it should be possible to adapt CS planes for the system. Not sure if it would be worth the effort though.
Malphas, over and out

Return to